Skip to main content

What Do I Cook Tonight?

That is the almighty question in my house!  Normally we eat with family and friends, but a few nights a week we are home and having to figure out what to eat.  It's torture!!  To avoid ending up ordering a pizza or take out, I have started a list of quick simple meals that we can make to satisfy our cravings while still staying on track.

First up::  Chicken and Rice Soup
--I made this the over the weekend and had requests for the recipe, so here it goes :)

Ingredients:
-Rotisserie Chicken (cooked)
-Long Grain Rice (Brown would be best)
-3-5 Carrots
-3-5 stalks of celery
-1 box organic chicken stock (I used broth but I like stock flavor better)

First I like to saute the chopped celery and carrots in the pot with about a tbsp of olive oil first.  Season with your favorite spices; I used garlic powder and Mrs. Dash's Salt-free Italian blend. Then I will add the rice to toast it for a minute or so (I know, so accurate!). Then I'll put in the chicken stock.  While the stock, rice and veggies cook, I take off the meat of half the rotisserie chicken and either shred it or chop it up.  I put it in the pot and then just let it do it's thing at medium heat for about an hour.  Or you could also cook this in a crock pot- but I would wait to add the rice about one hour before serving.

To serve, I added in a cup of broccoli and a tbsp of shredded Italian cheese on top.  This was a guilt-free meal with the comfort food feeling!!  The rice starch and the little bit of cheese make it almost creamy.  I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine did!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 3rd Blog-aversary!!

It's been three (3) years to the day since I began blogging.  I've taken a LONG break lately as I have had many transitions in my life.  But in the past few weeks, I've been considering sharing more about the next stage of this journey called life with you all. In three short years, I have gone from motivating others to experiencing weight gain and depression.  Being delivered from said depression and fighting to lose the weight.  I'd say sometimes in life, motivation shows up in the difficult times and then sometimes it's no where to be found-- a bit of a roller coaster really. And about a year ago, I was tired.  Tired of not getting enough sleep, tired of the structure and I needed a break.  This break cost me about 20 lbs and goodness has it been tough to get my mind right again.  But I'm experiencing life!!  Enjoying the moment!  And making memories with my family and friends that have been so good for my soul. And in this season, ...

The Summit...Would You Start Over?

So as most of you know, I went to Nashville last month for Beachbody's national convention called Summit.  It is the most amazing event where people who's purpose is to help others get together, share wonderful ideas/trainings and completely refill your cup before you go back home. This year one of the speakers was talking about completing a workout program in it's entirety when we returned home.  And they were telling us not to start over if we hit some bumps in the road.  Now, I for one, am a habitual "starter over" so I probably turned a little red (those who know me know how a can get flushed in a split second).  In a room of about 14k people, I was feeling like they were talking right to me. But then the best example was given...when you begin a hike/climb up a mountain, if you didn't like how fast you went or your progress in the first few hours, would you start over??? Um...NO way!!  That seems like a no-brainer.  There's no way that you would ...

Refresh Complete!

Exactly one year ago, I decided to do a three day cleanse that Beachbody had just launched.  It was a key tool in breaking my addiction to diet soda and I lost some weight too, which was awesome.  As I've shared lately, in the past four months, I gained ten pounds after maintaining a comfortable weight (the enjoy whatever/whenever lifestyle) for over a year.  This has been a tough thing to wrap my mind around.  How did I go from balanced to imbalanced without even noticing until the weight was there?  Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? So after failing to tighten the reigns on my own, I decided if the Refresh could break an establish soda addiction, then it could help me again.  And luckily, I found a local coach that had one on hand, so I didn't have time to back out of it :) Last time, I completed two days at work and one day at home; this time one day at work and two days at home which was a little more difficult since the boys love ...